Moving Overview ChecklistOne Month Before Moving
One To Two Weeks Before Moving
- Fill out change of address order form for post office.
- Fill out an IRS change of address form.
- Make arrangements with moving company or reserve a rental truck.
- Make travel arrangements, if necessary, with airlines, buses, car rental agencies and hotels.
- Transfer memberships in churches, clubs and civic organizations.
- Obtain medical and dental records, x-rays and prescription histories.
- Ask doctor and dentist for referrals and transfer prescriptions.
- Set up a checking account in your new city.
- Check into the laws and requirements of your new city regarding home-based businesses, professional tests, business licenses and any special laws that might be applicable to you.
- Take inventory of your belongings before they're packed, in the event you need to file an insurance claim later. If possible, take pictures or video tape your belongings.
- Record serial numbers of electronic equipment.
- Make arrangements for transporting pets.
- Start using up food items, so that there is less left to pack and possibly spoil.
On Moving Day
- Switch utility services to new address. Inform electric, disposal, water, newspaper, magazine subscription, telephone and cable companies of your move.
- Arrange for help on moving day.
- Confirm travel reservations.
- Reserve elevator if moving from an apartment.
- Have appliances serviced for moving.
- Clean rugs and clothing and have them wrapped for moving.
- Plan ahead for special needs of infants.
- Close bank accounts and have your funds wired to your new bank.
- Before closing, be sure there are no outstanding checks or automatic payments that haven't been processed.
- Collect valuables from safe-deposit box.
- Make copies of any important documents before mailing or hand carry them to your new address.
- Check with your insurance agent to ensure you'll be covered through your homeowner's or renter's policy during the move.
- Defrost freezer and refrigerator.
- Place deodorizer inside to control odors.
- Give a close friend or relative your travel route and schedule so you may be reached if needed.
After Arriving At New Home
- Double check closets, drawers, shelves, attic and garage to be sure they are empty.
- Carry important documents, currency and jewelry yourself, or use registered mail.
- Carry travelers checks for quick, available funds.
- Renew your driver's license, auto registration and tags.
- Shop around for new insurance policies, especially auto coverage.
- Revise your will and other legal papers to avoid longer probate and higher legal fees.
- Locate the hospitals, police stations, veterinarian and fire stations near your home.
© Twin Rivers Realty
732-4376 PO BOX 272, Howland, Maine 04448