Protecting The Environment
Following are some general suggestions to help you protect the environment before, during and after your move
- Sweep instead of hosing down driveways.
- Use sand or kitty litter instead of salt on icy sidewalks.
- Minimize paved surfaces on property and retain as much vegetation and rural wetlands as possible.
- Use water-based products rather than solvent-based.
- Reduce or eliminate the use of pesticides - use mulch and organic fertilizers instead.
- Mow lawn frequently to increase grass shoot density.
- Rinse disposable diapers before throwing them away.
- Turn off the water while brushing teeth.
- Recycle cardboard boxes.
- Use phosphate-free laundry detergent.
- Recycle whenever possible.
Automobile & Traveling
- Keep your car tuned.
- Recycle and dispose of oil safely.
- Wash your car on grass.
- Don't litter.
- Non-hazardous and non-recyclable.
- Call the Solid Waste Division in your county for disposal instructions and transfer stations in your area.
- Aluminum cans, papers, appliances.
- Call the Solid Waste Division/Recycling in your county for instructions.
- Paints, oil, pesticides, dyes, coolants.
- Call the Solid Waste Division/Hazardous Wastes in your county for instructions.