About Moving Companies
Consumer complaints against moving companies have been rising. Following are some tips that can help your move go smoothly.
- Get a binding estimate from the moving company. Make sure the amount is written in the contract.
- Inquire about their on-time record and other complaints with the local Better Business Bureau or consumer complaints department.
- Movers are
limited by law regarding what they can give you for lost or damaged
goods. To cover potential damage, check existing homeowner's or renter's
- Ask about expected gratuities and write into contract.
- Have the contract include a guarantee of how many hours the job will take, allowing an overrun of no more than 10%.
- Be sure all charges are listed on contract.
- Inform the moving company of how many stairs are at your new home.
- Watch loading and unloading and examine all items carefully before signing a receipt.
- Document an inventory of your belongings before you pack.